BRAKE ROTOR MACHINING
Machining vs Replacement
Machining your Rotors may cost you a lot more than you think.
Some mechanics will advise to machine your rotors each time you change your pads. However, there are two major factors to be considered before you do this:
A) The condition of the rotors inspected
B) If the Rotors have been machined previously, and how many times, as there are minimum Rotor thickness specifications from each manufacturer.
If you would be going below this minimum standard, then the Rotors should be replaced to ensure you do not affect overall braking performance and general vehicle safety.
If you are considering machining (drums or rotors) as a cheaper option to Rotor replacement, then it is worth doing your research first.
Our Top 5 considerations when deciding between Rotor Replacement or Machining.
Brake Rotor Replacement
- We stock a wide range of Rotors with Standard Rotors from just $40 a pair which would likely be less than your Machining costs.
- No reduction in braking capacity.
- Rotor operation remain as manufacturer intended.
- Heat dissipation remains normal.
- Option to upgrade your standard Rotors with a better performing Drilled and Slotted Rotor pair to improve braking performance.
Brake Rotor Machining
- Cost of Machining can vary greatly depending your provider though allow $50 to $100 a pair.
- Reduction in braking capacity and overall vehicle safety if machined less than vehicle manufacturer standard - Australian Standard AS3617‐1997 4.3 (b)(iii).
- Could increase stopping distance required and prematurely cause "brake fade".
- The more times you machine the rotors, the less heat you dissipate, exposing rotors to possible warping.
- No option to improve your braking performance.
Some other Parts retailers may not be so Super or Cheap after all.
The level of savings will of course vary across our wide range of Parts pending your vehicle and fitment, but we think our prices are some of the most (if not the most) competitive on the market.
Our Super Saver members automatically save even more on every purchase!* Not a member? No problems, it's Free to join, simplySign up & Subscribeto Save!
How much could you save?
Don't risk your vehicles braking performance and increase your chance of an accident by machining your Rotors, OnlineAutoParts.com.au stocks a wide range of quality Rotors (often well below RRP) making replacement a very affordable option!
To find out what Pad and Rotor combination would work best for you contact us via our enquiry form here, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone 07 3265 6228.
Brakes are a vital component of a vehicle. We recommend a qualified technician always perform brake component repairs and upgrades. If you choose to DIY please be sure to check your work carefully before taking a sensible test drive.